CSUSM WOMEN’S SOCCER UPDATE

JESSIE GAMBRELL

The CSUSM women’s soccer team won 2-0 against San Diego Christian on Tuesday, Sept. 27. This was only their 10th match and eighth win of the season, having one loss and one draw so far.

Currently, the women are ranked #7 in the nation in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

The women showed a real zest for the game and showed a lot of enthusiasm on the field.

“I’m really excited. I think we have a bond that’s really unique,” team member Kaylee Mason said.

The team worked together on the field and kept the opposing team from scoring goals throughout the game. In the second half, CSUSM senior Lauren Johnson scored two goals for her team. Johnson scored 26 goals for the Cougars since her first season as a freshman in 2008 and already scored five goals for her team this season.

“We’ve been working really hard and it’s paid off in the end. I think we’re doing really well. We’ve been really connecting as a team,” Johnson said.

Ron Pulvers, head coach of both the men’s and women’s soccer teams, coached since 2006, when the soccer programs started here at CSUSM. Pulvers helped the team get to the NAIA championships twice in the past three seasons.

Bobby Renneisen played on Pulvers’s team from 2000 – 2001 when he was the coach at Baker University in Kansas. Now, Renneisen is the assistant coach to both soccer teams at CSUSM. Courtney Drummond is the second assistant coach for the women’s team. Drummond coached since last season. She played for CSUSM as a midfielder from 2006 – 2009.

“Based on our record, we are having a really good season. We have a bit of work to do,” Renneisen explained.

Women’s soccer went on to win against:
Bethesda, 11-0,
U.C. Santa Cruz, 1-0,
and Holy Names, 1-0.
The Cougars have
claimed 11 shutouts in
13 games and are still
ranked #7 in the NAIA
standings.
Publication went to print before the score vs
William Jessup was announced.

Photo by Jessie Gambrell