TALES FROM THE NERD SIDE- THE WAIT IS OVER: THE BIGGEST GAMING RELEASES IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON

CHRIS GIANCAMILLI

The holiday season always sees the industry’s biggest gaming releases and this year is no different. From role-playing games to racers, there is sure to be something to pick up for every gamer.

Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

“Super Mario 3D Land” adds some new features to an already classic formula. Harkening back to “Super Mario Bros. 3,” this new installment gives Mario his old Tanooki suit tail, which grants him the power of a spin attack and brief moments of floatation. Mario has the ability to throw boomerangs with the new Boomerang Flower. The game returns to the same mechanics as “Super Mario Galaxy” and “Super Mario 64” with the dazzling introduction of 3D to the mix.

Saints Row: The Third (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

“Saints Row: The Third” gives players the opportunity to become the leader of a gang called the Third Street Saints. Players arrive in the city of Steelport seeking to claim it for the Third Street Saints. This entry in the series adds experience points and leveling to give characters different perks. The game’s over-thetop action and humor makes “Saints Row: The Third” an interesting buy for those looking to have some sandbox style fun.

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (PS3, Xbox 360)

This installment of the Assassin’s Creed series sees the return of the first main character, Altaïr, as well as Ezio and Desmond. Players will travel to exotic locations such as Constantinople and Cappadocia in an attempt to link memories and uncover the history of a bloodline. “Revelations” also introduces new weapons such as the hookblade and creatable bombs.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

In this entry of the classic Legend of Zelda series, Link hails from the floating city of Skyloft. There, he finds the Skyward Sword and sets out on a journey to the land beneath Skyloft in order to cleanse it of the evil monsters that thrive there. Skyward Sword utilizes the Wii Motion Plus controller which allows for more precise sword movement.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC) – Dec. 20

This Star Wars themed massively multiplayer online game takes place several thousands of years before the film series. Players will travel across space to familiar planets such as Coruscant, Tatooine and Alderaan in a quest to either save the galaxy as an agent of the Galactic Republic or a member of the Sith Empire. The Old Republic provides players a with a fresh and expansive Star Wars experience with hours and hours of gameplay.

Mario Kart 7 (3DS) – Dec. 4

“Mario Kart 7” relies upon a heavy use of 3D to give a new life to the kart racing sub-genre of games. Players must use the new sense of depth to avoid obstacles and take out their opponents with a variety of power-ups. Racers traverse the vibrant landscapes with the new addition of gliding and underwater racing.

Photos courtesy of Amazon Media