NEW “CALL OF DUTY” HIT WITH NEW PLAYERS, BUT MISS WITH DIE-HARD FANS

ROGERS JAFFARIAN

For the first-time player, just-released “Call of Duty’s Modern Warfare 3” is an arsenal of firepower. The first-person action shooter game has more weapons, equipment and perks than its predecessors, while removing the game-ending multi-player nuclear bomb. MW3 is also bigger, with more detailed maps and realistic animation, creating a better overall balance of play.

Unfortunately for true fans of the series, the intensity of the game has been toned down. There are fewer open areas where players can get shot and the helicopters and planes do less damage than before. This was done to level the playing field between veterans and new players.

The console game – available for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC – came out on Nov. 8. A group of about 150 fans gathered at the Gamestop in Carlsbad’s Westfield Plaza Camino Real mall where employees handed out posters and prizes.

Game developer Activision sold 12 million copies of MW3 in its first week, resulting in a record $738 million in sales.

Among the new features in MW3 are more realistic sniper rifles. When an enemy is hit by a bullet from one of these weapons, he’s taken right off of his feet with more body movement animation than in previous Modern Warfare titles.

Other improvements include less annoying red blood splats on your screen after taking damage, and getting to collect dog tags from fallen victims in a kill confirmed game. Weapons proficiency lets you level up your gun along with the usual two attachments. The highest rank an online player can attain is now 80, with a prestige level of 10. When you choose to go prestige, it still resets you to level one, but you get to retain one of your unlocked items. The game has been integrated with Facebook so you get to see your friends’ online accomplishments.

Campaign mode has plenty of action with a quick and confusing story line. You get to shoot up the New York Stock Exchange, attempt to rescue the Russian president on a plane, and fight a chemical warfare attack in Paris.

Some of the new game flaws are the choppers and stealth bombers are less realistic than before. In the previous titles there were fewer buildings around to run for cover, airstrikes would put the fear in your heart when you heard them coming. No more secondary shotgun and certain perks such as “last stand” are gone. Online gaming can be addictive, but it can also be a lot of fun.

Photo by Rogers Jaffarian