EVANESCO-ING THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

JULIANA STUMPP

This past summer marked the ending to the Harry Potter franchise, as millions of fans attended the midnight premiere of the last movie, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” which is now on sale. Now fans will have to say another goodbye to their favorite witches and wizards as Warner Brothers are planning to stop shipping all the Harry Potter films for sale to stores on Dec. 29.

This strategy is similar to Disney’s marketing technique. Disney releases classic movies in stores and discontinues them for years, putting them into a vault. Recently, “The Lion King” was released in theaters in September. The rerelease of the movie earned $30.2 million worldwide. With the gigantic success of “The Lion King,” Disney and Pixar plan to have “Beauty and the Beast,” “Finding Nemo,” “Monsters Inc.” and “The Little Mermaid” rereleased in theaters as well.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” grossed $1.3 billion in worldwide box offices. Warner Bros. has earned $12.1 billion in sales from DVDs, video games and more.

Also as of Nov. 11, an eight-disc set will be on sale that will include the last movie of the series that will be released that day, separately. The complete set will no longer be on sale after Dec. 29. If you don’t want to live without the magic of Harry Potter and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, we suggest you get your hands on the films soon before they vanish.

The author of the series, J.K. Rowling, Scholastic published the first of the series, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” in the United States. Ever since the start of the series, Rowling has received numerous awards for the books and films.