SURF TEAM UPDATE

MORGAN HALL

In mid-October, the Cal State San Marcos surf team experienced its first event of the season with a weekend of small surf at Blacks Beach.

The team started strong, but quickly lost its momentum after round three. The first event of the season was more of a learning experience for the members who got a few good heats under their belts. The team finished 8th out of 22 teams.

On Sunday, Nov.16, the team competed in its second event at Seaside Reef in Cardiff. The three to five foot, clean, glassy waves proved to be more favorable for the Cougars.

Returning after a 10 year absence, Dave Kincannon, who was part of CSUSM’s 2001 inaugural surf team, proved to be the team’s leading force. Kincannon’s determination landed him a 2nd and three 1st place heats and a spot in the final round, where he finished 6th.

Strong performances by team members Daniel Jacobs, who ripped his way into the quarterfinals, and Kaitlin Maguire, who made the semi-finals in both women’s shortboard and coed longboard allowed the Cougars to make an amazing leap from their first event.

The CSUSM surf team finished 5th of 22 teams from 12 colleges, just missing the podium by five points. The team’s next event is Dec. 3-4 at 9th Street, Huntington Beach.