BOOK REVIEW: “A CHRISTMAS MEMORY” BY TRUMAN CAPOTE- CAPOTE’S CLASSIC STORY A CHRISTMAS TREAT

KYLE M. JOHNSON

In the common Christmas-celebrating household, the traditions of reciting “The Night Before Christmas” or reading Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” often take place.

Rarely, and sadly, does one hear about a tradition of reading Truman Capote’s heartwarming short story “A Christmas Memory.”

Set in Alabama in the 1930s and inspired by his childhood, Capote tells the story of a Christmas he shared with his friend, Miss Sook, an aging woman in her sixties.

Capote’s portrayal of his seven year-old self called Buddy is sweet, but the real charm is in his relationship with Miss Sook, whom he refers to as “my friend.” Despite her age, Miss Sook is very much a child herself.

Together, they touch the lives of those around them, including a Mr. Haha Jones (ironically nicknamed this because of his serious disposition). The reader cannot help but feel touched, as well.

In the Modern Library edition of “A Christmas Memory,” you will also find the short stories “One Christmas” and “The Thanksgiving Visitor” which also feature Capote’s Buddy and Miss Sook.

“One Christmas” tells of a trip Buddy takes to stay with his father in New Orleans for the holiday and “The Thanksgiving Visitor” tells of Buddy’s school bully nemesis being invited to Thanksgiving dinner.

While his stories possess a child-like charm, Capote counters this with a very dark and personal tone which lies below the surface of the text. In a tragic life and upbringing specifically, we can be grateful that Capote had someone like Miss Sook to impart her love and wisdom upon him, a gift that will surely resonate with the reader.