RINGING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH ROSES

MELISSA MARTINEZ

If you don’t have special plans to celebrate the New Year, the Tournament of Roses Parade is an amazing experience to take part in.

Every year since 1890, Pasadena (located in the Los Angeles County, 2 hours away from San Marcos) housed traditional floats made entirely out of flowers as well as the “Rose Bowl” game, which consists of the top collegiate college teams in the U.S.

Marching bands, floats and people come from all over the country to partake in this historic event, camping out days ahead of time in Old Town Pasadena, with tents and blankets along the parade trail throughout the streets of the historic city.

Guests for the Rose Parade include the mayor of Pasadena and the Grand Marshall, as well as the Rose Princesses and Queen, high school students who have been chosen from a cohort of 12th grade females, who have auditioned to represent the Tournament of Roses as Pasadena’s queen.

Beginning bright and early on Jan. 2 at 8 a.m., the 123rd Rose Parade will make its journey throughout Pasadena to present the work of thousands who devote the entire year to the debut of their floats. The Rose Parade is a great way to celebrate the arrival of the New Year by joining those who travel from all over the country to welcome another year of life.

However, if you already have plans in celebrating the New Year elsewhere, you can always watch the televised version of the Parade on any network channel, all day long, Jan. 2.