BOOK OF THE MONTH: ELLEN DEGENERE’S, “SERIOUSLY… I’M KIDDING”

MORGAN HALL
STAFF WRITER

Ellen DeGeneres, televsion host and stand-up comedian, strikes again with her third book, “Seriously… I’m Kidding.” Diary entries, celebrity gossip, the secret to life and even coloring book pages surprise and delight a rage of Ellen fans. Memories which include winning an Emmy for her daytime talk show “Ellen” on NBC, a season of “American Idol” and the formation of her own record label complete the unexpected content of her book while maintaining her comedic style.

DeGeneres’s witty and comedic voice shines through the pages allowing her to speak and connect directly with the reader as if she were conversing with an old friend. Though the book doesn’t have a set plot, it reads like a breezy monologue divided into 30+ chapters across 240 pages. DeGeneres also includes several self-help chapters, which include, “how to be a super- model,” ”what would Jesus do?” and “random things that might help you but probably won’t.”

This best was to describe this book is that it is simply Ellen: loud, funny and honest. Although DeGeneres’ novel is about her opinions and thoughts, she is private when it comes to her personal life and marriage to actress Portia de Rossi.

Whether you are a huge fan of the hilarious comedian or her interesting interviews with A-list celebrities, you’ll love this anecdotal read.