THE COUGAR SHUFFLE

MELISSA MARTINEZ
STAFF WRITER

This month is mainly known for the hope of keeping promises and beginning the year anew. More glamorously, it is known for artists of all traits in the film and television industry to be recognized with the highest honors they can possibly receive. This playlist is dedicated to those nominated for the 54th Grammy Awards, airing Feb. 12, at 8/7c.

1.This year has been amazing for London native, singer/songwriter Adele. Since her single “Rolling in the Deep” made its debut, her music has become a worldwide sensation. Her strong voice offers sense of empowerment which guaranteed a Grammy nod for Record of the Year.

2.Lady Gaga has not only made her mark on the music industry, but more importantly, her fans that she affectionately refers to as “monsters.” Her beliefs in living in a world where differences are not only disregarded but celebrated immediately made her a worldwide sensation, winning her the nomination for Album of the Year. Her album, “Born This Way” debuted hit, “You and I” making it a great song to listen to whether you are spending time with a loved one or driving in the car, reminiscing about a special interest.

3.Mumford & Sons, a British folk band who released their album “Sigh No More” in the United States in February 2010 has successfully made their debut with four singles. The Grammy nominated Song of the Year titled “The Cave” presents a melodic story that gives the courage of leaving doubts and fears behind.

4.Though many fans were disappointed in the delay of Dr. Dre’s much anticipated album, they weren’t too disappointed since he, close friend and rapper Eminem & Skylar Grey released “I Need a Doctor” that has been nominated for Best Rap/ Sung Collaboration as well as Best Rap Song.

5.Though many fans thought it hard to say goodbye to what, to some, has been their childhood for the past 11 years, fans will be please to know that they haven’t yet heard the last of the Harry Potter legacy. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” was nominated for Best Score for Soundtrack for Visual Media by composer Alexandre Desplat.