CSUSM FACULTY MEMBER TO PRESENT SOLO PIANO RECITAL

KYLE M. JOHNSON
STAFF WRITER

Cal State San Marcos music Professor Ching-Ming Cheng will host and perform in a solo piano concert on Jan. 31.

Following her arrival to the university in fall 2011, this will mark the debut performance of Cheng on campus. The concert will be a musical journey from the classical era to modern romanticism, featuring compositions from Haydn, Chopin, Ravel and Busoni.

Although she started piano lessons at the age of five, it was around the second or third grade when a teacher suggested that Cheng audition for a musical program that offered formal training at no charge to those selected. It was at her teacher’s suggestion that Cheng felt a sense of maturity in her training.

Cheng has since grown into an experienced performer with such credentials as having been part of the New World Symphony as a keyboardist and in the Taipei Century Symphony and National Symphony Orchestra playing the double bass.

Prior to joining the faculty at CSUSM, Cheng taught in the music department at Humboldt State University. Even though she felt it was a great program with devoted students, Cheng decided to take an open position as an assistant professor in CSUSM’s music department.

She has high aspirations for the music department including the recruitment of piano major students and composition students. “I hope we can build a thorough and complete department,” Cheng said.

The free piano recital will take place Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. in Arts Building, room 111.