Penalty kick downs Cougar women in overtime

By Kyle Trembley

Photos by Aaron Jaffe–http://www.jafferino.com/

In the afternoon game, a controversial call minutes into the first overtime handed the Master’s College women the victory over the Lady Cougars, 1-0.
Looking sluggish after a successful road trip to Arizona, Pulvers’ side spent most of the game in the middle of the field. The two teams traded mostly weak chances during regulation.
Three minutes into overtime, Master’s pushed the ball up toward the Cougar goal. A Mustang player went down near the 18-yard line. The foul looked like it could have been a free kick, but the official pointed to the penalty box. Andie Reyes easily put the chance into the right corner past All-American keeper Kaycee Gunion, who dove left.
“For me, in an overtime game like that, you have to be one hundred percent committed to the penalty,” said Pulvers. “I thought there were too many questions about whether or it was or not for it to be called, [but] we put ourselves in a bad spot on that particular play.”

“And whether the penalty was a penalty…that’s certainly a questionable situation, but we should have never been in that position to begin with, because we were just lazy in recovering defensively,” said Pulvers.
Amanda Diamond stopped five shots to record the shutout for the Mustangs. Gunion also saved five.
The Cougars will play another doubleheader at Mangrum Field on Wednesday vs. Point Loma Nazarene.