HIV AWARENESS, TESTING EVENT PLANNED FOR FEB. 7

MARCOS CHRON
STAFF WRITER

One in 500 American college students is infected with the HIV virus. For a campus the size of Cal State San Marcos, that means about 20 students are carrying the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, which without treatment causes AIDS, according to American College Health Association.

Although the transmission of HIV has slowed since it was epidemic in the late 1980s and early 1990s, it still remains a potent force on college campuses. According to a report from the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, young people ages 13 to 29 accounted for 39 percent of all new HIV infections in 2009. The highest rate of infection occurs in people ages 20 to 24, with a disproportionate infection rate among gay and bisexual men and young blacks. AIDS suppresses the body’s immune system, making it susceptible to secondary infections.

To spread the word about the dangers of HIV, the university’s Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS) department will have free HIV testing from 1:15 – 4 p.m. on Feb. 7. The event is geared toward enrolled students and will include an information fair. HIV testing will be held at the center, which is located just east of campus at 120 Craven Road, Suite 100.

Through a partnership with North County Health Services, students can receive free HIV testing with Ora-Quick Rapid, a test that requires just one drop of blood and produces a result in 20 minutes.

The testing is anonymous, meaning that the results of the HIV test will not be entered into the student’s medical record. The student will be given a code, and only the student and the counselor will know the result of the test. As a result, the test results cannot be linked to the student. Center staff can provide pre-test and post-test counseling, as well as referrals to trained counselors.

Free testing services will be offered on the first Tuesdays of each month from 1:15 to 4 p.m. Upcoming dates are March 6, April 3 and May 1. No appointments are required. Service is first come, first served.

The center can be reached at 760-750-4915.