PROP 8 IS BACK – SAME-SEX MARRIAGE GETS ANOTHER SHOT AT EQUALITY

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, the Federal Appeals court abolished the California ban on same-sex marriage to allow the Supreme Court to rule what the next step shall be for the gay and lesbian community within the state.

U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals concluded that the 2008 proposition that banned same-sex marriage violated the U.S. Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause.

“They took a step in the right direction. It’s an issue of civil rights, we deserve happiness and loyalty. Many people came from across the board to do what’s right,” Ana Flores Community Advocate for CSUSM’s the Pride Center said. In May of 2008, gays and lesbians were allowed to marry during a window of six months before it became illegal again. Now, three and a half years later, Proposition 8 gets a second look in California. “I think they should have suspended the ban before. If straight people can get married, why can’t gay people?” Tyler Warren, Australian exchange student, said.

“It’s wrong to go back on something that was banned, but I do think that they [gays and lesbians] should be allowed to get married,” Puleo, a transfer student said.

Recent events show that the future for same-sex marriage can only be determined by the voice of the people and the decisions of the Supreme Court.