CSUSM’S STUDENT UNION BUILDING SPIRIT

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

CSUSM aimed to make the campus more community- oriented and attractive to students with the University Student Union (USU) which kicked off with a ground- breaking ceremony and after-party last Thursday, Feb. 23.

The lawn between Kellogg Library and the Cesar Chavez stairs is fenced off because CSUSM is in the process of constructing the new USU building. USU will house student events, clubs, activities and community life. The two “Phases” are due to for completion August 2013, and the structure will be ready for occupation January 2014.

“I think that it is really hard to capture the excitement of it. There have been so many people working really hard on this. It is actually student- designed; they brought in some students to get their opinions on what it should be like,” Eloise Stiglitz, Ph.D. Vice President of Student Affairs said.

USU’s Phase I (58,376 sq. ft) will provide services including food services, retail spaces, dining, a ballroom, conference rooms, student organization offices, recreational and game areas as well as USU administration offices. Phase II (85,880 sq. ft) will provide a large ballroom, more food services and more student organization offices.

“The Clarke used to be the hub for student organizations, but soon there will be the Student Union. In the rainy weather you will have a building to go to,” Ed. D. Executive Director, University Corporation, Kim D. Clark, said.

This new University Stu- dent Union building has been in the books since CSUSM opened in 1989. The total cost of the building will be $43.98 million, and the Student Body Center Fee that each CSUSM student pays will fund the entire project. It will take 30 years to pay it off completely.

“I’m excited. It’s a sign that our school is growing. It’ll be worth it,” Phoebe Morris, CSUSM sophomore, said.

The opportunities and space it will provide the student community will add greatly to the student life here on campus.

“I don’t like the fencing, but I am excited about the Student Union being built,” Kaitlin Lingnau, a freshman, said.

In fact, the Cesar Chavez staircase will be completely out of commission from spring break until mid-August 2013.

The groundbreaking ceremony speakers and attendees included CSUSM President Karen Haynes, President & CEO of ASI Travis Wilson, USU Advisory Board Chair Cipriano Vargas, Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services Dr. Linda Hawk and Director of the Clarke House & the USU Sara Quinn.

“Student life is going to be absolutely amazing. I’m excited for this opportunity, and I am proud to call this my school,” Wilson said.

For more information go to: www.csusm.edu/usu.