LUX BOREAL’S “LAMB” PRESENTS PRAISED PERFORMANCE AT CSUSM

JULIANA STUMPP
STAFF WRITER

CSUSM students and faculty gathered on campus to enjoy the contemporary dancing in Lux Boreal’s presentation of “Lamb” on Feb. 21.

This was the first time that the performance was presented at CSUSM as it is typically preformed in many festivals and theaters in Mexico.

Phillip Adams, of Australia, in collaboration with Lux Boreal, created the production. The company’s name, “Lux Boreal” translates to, “lights from the north.”

The performance began with a queen-like woman lying in the middle of the stage with six dancers off to the side wearing a black cloth over their faces with feathery sashes over their bodies. In the beginning of the show, the dancer’s movements started slow and leisurely, but throughout the performance, the dances became more emotional and dramatic as even some of the dancers started to cry.

At the side of the stage, there were six red, toy pianos that were played occasionally for the effect of spiritual change.

In “Lamb,” the shepherdess helps guide her six lambs to the Promised Land. The show included multiple themes including forgiveness, innocence and sin and many biblical references.

Eunice Contreras, who played the shepherdess, gave her insight to the meaning of the production.

“The sheep have to trust in the path I’m giving them, because it’s the path to salvation. They have to forgive themselves, but they also must be forgiven. You have to ask for forgiveness. You have to surrender to that,” Contreras said.

At the end of the show, some of the dancers answered questions from the audience.

“[Phillip Adams] spent his time explaining his thoughts and beliefs. He didn’t give us a direct definition of what the pianos represented. He gave us room for imagination. To me the red pianos represented blood,” performer Henry Torres said.

“Lamb” was honored in Dance Magazine’s list of Top 25 Performances to Watch in 2009.