ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT: SARAH JACKSON

JULIANA STUMPP
STAFF WRITER

As the basketball regular season comes to a close and the playoffs commence, I spoke to Sarah Jackson, three guard, from the Women’s Basketball team before the Cougars went to South Dakota for the A.I.I. (Association of Independent Institutions) conference championship.

Jackson is a junior majoring in Sociology and minoring in Psychology who has been playing basketball since she was six-year-old. Jackson’s favorite team is the Los Angeles Clippers, while her favorite player being Miami Heat forward, LeBron James.

Juliana Stumpp: What is the best thing about playing here at CSUSM?

Sarah Jackson: The strong friendships I’ve made. It’s taught me a lot of leadership skills. Basketball keeps me on track with my priorities.

JS: In what way has basketball benefited your academics?

SJ: I’ve always been a good student athlete. I know it is student before athlete, not the other way around. Without the grades, I can’t play, and basketball is such an important part of my life that I don’t want to lose that because of my grades.

JS: What is your practice schedule like?

SJ: During season, Mondays through Fridays we practice from 1:45 until 3:45 p.m. Before the season starts we condition from 1:45 to 5 p.m. Off-season, I go to the gym, lift weights and work out.

JS: Who is your inspiration?

SJ: My mom because she works really hard [and is a] very driven and independent woman, which I admire. Also, my older brother, because he always has a positive attitude.