STUDENTS FOR JUSTICE IN PALESTINE BRING APARTHEID AWARENESS TO CSUSM – GROUP BUILDS A WALL IN KELLOGG PLAZA REPRESENTING ISRAEL’S SECURITY FENCE

FREDRICK MISLEH
STAFF WRITER

On March 5, 2012, CSUSM students emerged from classes to find a new, temporary addition to Kellogg Plaza – a wooden wall painted grey with slogans denouncing both Israel’s Security Wall around the West Bank and all other walls (especially the United States-Mexico border fence). This was a joint project by the CSUSM chapters of Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP), Aztlán Chicano(a) Students Movement (MEChA), and other student groups.

The Wall was covered with information explaining what the actual wall in Israel is, how it was constructed, and how the International Court for Justice has ruled it as illegal. There were also quotes from many prominent figures in history, including one from Nelson Mandela, the head of the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa: “We know our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.”

Marce Mundo Jr., a senior majoring in Global Studies and one of the leaders of SJP stated the aim of this peaceful demonstration was to educate the student community as to what was going on in Palestine.

“Our objective is to make people aware, as well as to get them to recognize their privilege and responsibility as citizens in Western civilization and what we’re promoting with our tax dollars and our foreign policy – how we’re supporting almost rogue states,” Mundo said.

Cecili Chadwick, a CSUSM professor in Women’s Studies, was a keynote speaker at the event. She stated one of the problems with the wall was how the media covers the conflict in general.

“The term ‘Palestinian’ in the mainstream media become synonymous with ‘suicide- bomber’… The media seems to ignore the fact that Palestinians are as victimized by Israeli violence as Israelis are from Palestinian violence,” Chadwick said.

Chadwick also mentioned the issue of ideology as evidenced by the names of the wall.

“The Israelis term it a ‘security fence’ or a ‘security wall,’ while Palestinians and much of the world term it an ‘apartheid wall’ or a ‘separation wall.’ Similarly, when Mexicans come across the border fence, they’re called ‘invaders,’ while U.S. citizens who go in the opposite direction are called ‘tourists.’”

SJP conducted two more events that week. One featured Miko Peled, an Israeli writer and peace activist, who gave a lecture entitled “Zionism and the Question of Palestine.” The other was “Media and Coverage of Palestine and Israel” which featured Annie Robbins, a writer at large for Mondoweiss. net. SJP’s next event is today, March 13, at 6:30 p.m. in University Hall 100.