CSUSM WET SPOTS PERFORMANCE FOCUSES ON SEXUAL EXPERIENCES

AMIRA EL-KHAOULI
STAFF WRITER

Esteemed artistic dancer, Christine Suarez, will bring her performance solo, “Wet Spots” to the CSUSM stage on Monday, March 26 at 2:30 p.m. in ARTS 101. “Wet Spots” is part artistic expression, part historical lecture and part spoken word intertwined into a dance solo that is the culmination of five years of research on the female orgasm.

In February, our campus was elated by the student production of “The Vagina Monologues,” which were the inspirational tales of the “every” woman on her life, struggles and successes. The achievement of the female orgasm, as we all get the opportunity to experience with Suarez, is a wonderful sequel to the story.

As I spoke with Suarez, she stated that her performance is for “anyone willing to hear about sex. I want to reach young men, women and those who relate.” Though the performance is provocative and possibly upsetting, Suarez says, “Too bad. That’s part of my intention. Hopefully, everyone benefits.”

For many students, sex is a usual aspect in curriculum. In “Wet Spots,” we face the ideas of Freud’s female castrations, Alfred Kinsey’s ideas and research of the sexual revolution and Anne Koedt’s idea of the vaginal orgasm. Suarez also cites Luce Irigaray, Rachel Maines and the Masters and Johnson Institute as inspiration for her own questions about sex and what it means to be a sexually active woman.

“I feel like there are all these questions that it’s okay to have,” says Suarez. “I wish I would have had this information sooner.” Regardless of your sexual or gender identity, this exciting performance provides enrichment to a better understanding of the female body. Whether you wish to learn more or are just curious, “Wet Spots” is sure to be an informative and enlightening experience.