“21 JUMP STREET” – TATUM AND HILL: COMEDIC DREAM TEAM

ASHLEY DAY
STAFF WRITER

“21 Jump Street,” starring Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill, is a remake based off the 1980s television series of the same title. The plot for both the show and movie is young cops going undercover as high school students to solve a crime.

But that is where the similarities end. While the ‘80s show is classic, each episode taught the audience a lesson. The movie is a modern, comedic take on what would happen if two young cops went undercover at a high school.

After, Jenko (Tatum) and Schmidt (Hill) successfully graduate from the police academy, they witness drug use in a park but fail to properly capture the perpetrators. Their boss reassigns them to a reopened division of the ‘80s undercover operation. Here, Captain Dickson (Ice Cube) puts Jenko and Schmidt undercover at a local high school to stop a synthetic drug ring.

The good thing about “21 Jump Street” is it’s not really a remake. It’s not as predictable as other comedies. There is still the raunchiness, but some of the comedy is slapstick as well. The audience laughed from the start of the movie to the very end. “21 Jump Street” is the perfect mix of comedy and action.

Fans of the show will be happy to know there are a few cameos from some of the shows stars—perhaps Johnny Depp?

“21 Jumpstreet” opens this Friday, March 16.