ST. PATRICK’S DAY NOT ONLY FOR LEPRECHAUNS, GUINNESS – ORIGINS OF HOLIDAY HONORING IRELAND’S PATRON SAINT

FREDRICK MISLEH
STAFF WRITER

When thinking of March 17, thoughts of shamrocks, wearing green lest one be pinched, kissing those of Irish origin and Guinness come to mind. However, the origin of St. Patrick’s Day is one of slavery, escape and evangelism in the formerly pagan nation of Ireland.

According to history.com, the man behind the day was born in the fifth century A.D. in Roman Britain. At the age of 16, Patrick was kidnapped by pirates and taken to Ireland as a slave. During this time, Patrick turned to Christianity for comfort. Six years later, he escaped back to Britain and later returned to Ireland to preach Christianity and minister to the Christians already in Ireland.

Among his contributions to Irish history (as well as Christian history) is the development of the Irish cross: drawing a circle to represent the sun (an important symbol in pagan ideologies at the time) around the center of the Christian cross. Perhaps the most well-known contribution of Patrick’s is his explanation of the Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) using the three leaves of Ireland’s current national clover: the shamrock.

Historians believe Patrick died on March 17, 461. People began celebrating the holiday in Ireland around 1000 A.D. Due to the timing, in the middle of the Catholic observation of the Sacrament of Penance, Lent, celebrations of the time included church in the mornings and celebrating in the afternoon and evening.

For this one holiday, the Lent tradition of consuming no meat was lifted, allowing people to eat the traditional Irish dish o f Irish bacon and cabbage, as well as drink and dance. In America, Irish soldiers serving in the English Army marched through New York City on March 17, 1762, marking what is believed to be the first St. Patrick’s Day parade in history.

In the 19th century, St. Patrick’s Day was reduced to a minute celebration due to the Great Potato Famine and Irish immigration. Many Americans despised the Irish for their accents and, by American standards, their odd religious beliefs. At this time, Americans were mostly Protestant, while the Irish immigrants were Catholics.

The “No Irish Need Apply” days lasted until the Irish-Americans began to realize their swelling population gave them huge powers in the political field. Thus started the Green Machine where St. Patrick’s Day parades, which were once seen as items to scorn in the local papers, soon became huge displays of Irish strength and solidarity. The parades soon became a must-attend event for any political candidates hopeful of winning elections.

Today, St. Patrick’s Day in America represents more than an Irish celebration or homage to a Christian saint. It represents the struggle millions of Irish immigrants faced when they came to America. From combating racism and stereotypes to celebrating a heritage and history, St. Patrick’s Day is one that can and should be celebrated by all, Christian or not, Irish or not.