SON OF MEDICAL FIGURE TO SPEAK IN ESCONDIDO – WINNERS OF THE COMMON READ ESSAY CONTEST TO BE ANNOUNCED

JESSIE GAMBRELL
STAFF WRITER

The California Center for The California Center for the Arts in Escondido will be hold the event “A Conversation with David ‘Sonny’ Lacks” on Tuesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m.

The 2011-2012 regional Common Read was “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot. Last semester, students received the opportunity to participate in a contest that encouraged them to read the book and write an essay on it.

Skloot’s book tells of Henrietta Lacks, the southern tobacco farmer whose cells were taken without her knowledge and used in medical advancements, including the development of the polio vaccination.

Lacks’ son, David “Sonny” Lacks, has been traveling from campus to campus, speaking about the experiences he has had with his mother and her legacy.

At the event, the Faculty Center will also be announcing the winners of the essay contest.

The event will feature live music performed by CSUSM’s Jazz ensemble from 6 – 6:30 p.m. followed by the announcement of the winners of the CSUSM Common Read essay contest.

Following the announcement, the conversation with Lacks will take place. Guests will get to see Willie “Derrick” Crawford, Associate Vice President of Diversity and Educational Equity, interviewing Lacks.

After the discussion, Lacks will be signing books for all in attendance.

Faculty Center director Elisa Grant-Vallone, Ph.D., believes this event to be one of the largest events held by the Faculty Center.

“We have 900 reserved tickets already and are expecting around 1,000,” Grant-Vallone said.

For more information and to make reservations, visit www.csusm.edu/commonread.