GUEST SPEAKER TO ADDRESS ISSUES OF SOCIAL CHANGE

BRANDON TORRES
STAFF WRITER

Guest speaker Dr. Kathryn Sorrells will be featured at the Arts & Lectures event “Intercultural Praxis for Social Change” on March 15 at noon.

“Sorrells presents her model of intercultural praxis, a process of critical reflective thinking and acting that enables everyone to navigate the challenging intercultural spaces they inhabit,” the CSUSM events page said on the campus website.

Sorrells received her Ph.D. in Intercultural Communication from the University of New Mexico. She is currently an Associate Professor of Communication Studies at California State University, Northridge.

Sorrells teaches undergraduate and graduate level courses such as Intercultural Communication, Critical Pedagogy, Gender Studies and Feminist Rhetoric and Theory.

Sorrells also raises awareness on the issues of culture, gender, race, class, sexuality and social justice. She brings along a unique energy into her classroom and shapes her lectures around her creative interests in an effort to bring a global consciousness to individuals regarding their actions.

Sorrells is the author of the upcoming book “Globalizing Intercultural Communication.” She has also published articles on the subjects of Intercultural Communication, Gender and Social Justice.

The lecture will take place in University Commons room 206 at noon on March 15.

For more information on this event, visit csusm.edu/calendar.