THE COMIC BOOK CORNER: ‘BATWOMAN’ SERIES RECEIVES 2012 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD

FAITH ORCINO
STAFF WRITER

On March 24, The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) honored the creative team of the 2011 comic book series “Batwoman” with an award for Outstanding Comic Book. This is the second time the lesbian character, Kate Kane (a.k.a. Batwoman), received this recognition. She won in the same category in 2010 after briefly taking over “Detective Comics” in issues #854-860. The rest of the nominees for this year were “Avengers: The Children’s Crusade,” “Secret Six,” “Veronica Presents: Kevin Keller” and “X-Factor” (2011 winner).

Though Batwoman existed for over half a century through many different personas, her modern revival as Kate Kane created a dynamic change to the DC Universe. She lived a troubled past and found her calling after a confrontation with a thief and Batman. Kane encountered many trials before finding her identity. The collection “Batwoman: Elegy” by writer Greg Rucka and artist J. H. Williams III contains the 2010 GLAAD recognized story arc which former First Lieutenant Daniel Choi of the National Guard helped on her military back story. DC Comics later released her solo series with the “New 52” reboot with J.H. Williams and W. Hayden Blackman as writers. In June, “Batwoman Volume One: Hydrology” will hit shelves, containing issues #0-5 of her series. Find other comics featuring Kate Kane in local shops and online. For more information about GLAAD, visit glaad.org