ASI, campus aim for recovery with new election

JULIANA  STUMPP
STAFF WRITER

The subject of re-election was a hot topic at the March 27 meeting of the Associated Student Body (ASI) Board of Directors.

Due to alleged illegal activity on a campus computer constituting election fraud, the elections that took place March 12 – 15 were deemed invalid. The issues of dishonest actions during the elections and the pending investigation were handed over to a different authority. This meeting was a discussion of reelection, not the investigation.

Kathy Rees, VP of Administration, said, “At this point we need to move forward with the information we do have.”

“Students should have faith in the university and the upcoming election process…It was due to the diligence of IITS staff and ASI staff that this was discovered so that it was stopped before it could go any further,” said Margaret Lutz Chantung, CSUSM Public Information Officer.

An action called to order was whether or not the ASI Elections Code 202 should be revised to include in the voting committee another administrator and two students not affiliated with ASI.

Currently on the Election Committee, there are a required minimum three members of Board of Directors and three CSUSM students as well as ASI Executive Director, ASI Associate Executive Director and CSUSM Assistant Vice President of Administration.

When debating whether bringing in a third party is or is not crucial, Roger D’Andreas, Executive Director of ASI and advisor, said, “This is a time to be true to our codes. It sends a message that has more integrity.”

It was decided to more forward with a special election, meaning that the whole election process will start anew with applications for new candidates on April 11. After all applicants’ academic records and conduct history are reviewed, candidates will start campaigning. Student Affairs will reimburse the candidates for their campaigning costs of the first election.

Voting for ASI will be the week of May 7 – 10.

Sara Gallegos, the Associate Executive Director of ASI, commented on what changes they will make to protect the election: “We are looking into different options… It is still not determined.”

Unfortunately, elections will be around finals week, which is a disadvantage to those rerunning,” said Travis Wilson, current President and CEO of ASI.