Luck leads NFL draft picks

ALEX FRANCO
STAFF WRITER

The road to the 2012 NFL season officially opened last Thursday night, with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announcing the newest player to enter the league.

It has been known since the season ended last December who would choose number one overall, the Indianapolis Colts. It has also been know for the past 2 weeks what the Colts had intended on doing with that first pick, and that was to choose the quarterback from Stanford, Andrew Luck.

The Colts have been on a mission to rebuild their franchise for the future since they decided to release their hall of fame quarterback, Peyton Manning this winter. Indy hopes to have struck gold again with Luck at quarterback and produce the same results Manning did when they chose him number one overall back in the 1998 draft and went on to win a record, four league MVP awards and a Super Bowl title.

Luck wasn’t the only quarterback taken right away, the Washington Redskins also fulfilled their QB troubles and drafted Heisman trophy winner, Robert Griffin III with the second overall pick. The first round saw its fair share of teams trading in order to draft the player they covet the most.

The Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Dallas Cowboys all traded up in the draft Thursday night to draft, running back Trent Richardson, wide receiver Justin Blackmon, and cornerback Morris Claiborne, respectively.

This year’s draft marked just the fifth time in the draft’s history that two quarterbacks were taken one and two overall, with Luck and Griffin III being chosen. We won’t know just who was worthy of their selection until the season begins this fall when the men are separated from the boys.

For complete results of this year’s draftees and complete analysis, please visit espn.com or nfl.com.