BASEBALL: Cougars split season-closing double-header with win, loss

Picasa

JULIANA STUMPP
STAFF WRITER

Game 1

The Cougars’ baseball team beat the Arizona Christian University Firestorm 12-5 on Saturday, April 28.

The Cougars scored six runs in the second inning, an additional run in the third, three in the fourth inning, and two in the seventh inning.

In the second and third inning, first baseman Kenny Belzer had five RBIs and hit two respective home runs, giving him seven for the season. Trent Jemmett also contributed, with four hits and two RBIs.

Frank Charlton was the winning pitcher. He pitched five innings and struck out seven batters. At the top of the sixth inning junior, Seth Smith, replaced Charlton.

The Firestorm tried to come back in the eighth inning when they scored five consecutive runs, but pitcher Smith, shut them down in the eighth and ninth innings to secure the win.

Everyone in the Cougar starting lineup got at least one base hit.

The win lifted the cougars record to 27-19.

Game 2

The second game in Saturdays double header was less favourable for the Cougars.

At first, it seemed that the team was in the midst of clenching another victory with Jeremy Baum’s three-run homer in the first inning but Arizona Christian came back to score one run in the second, three in the third and four in the fourth.

In the bottom of the fourth, the Cougars attempted to even the score after two runs were scored by Jeremy Baum and Vince Rizzo but the Firestorm kept the score at 8-6.

Despite the loss, the Cougars still remain in the top of the A.I.I. Conference.

The Cougars will finish their season with the A.I.I. Conference Tournament on May 2 and at the NAIA National Championship Opening Round on May 11.

The tournament will be held at CSUSM and start in game one against Dakota State.

Photo: Frank Charlton was the winning pitcher of game one in the double header. He threw for five innings and struck out seven batters against Arizona Christian University. Photo by Juliana Stumpp.