Dropping 9/21

New Releases for Sept. 21, 2010

By: Mila Pantovich

Movies:

“Robin Hood” (PG-13)

The iconic figure of “Robin Hood” is back in this Ridley Scott-directed film starring Oscar winners Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. The film begins in late 12th century England, when Robin Longstride (Russell Crowe) is merely an archer, before becoming “Robin Hood.” When met with his opportunity to return to the land of his birth, Nottingham, Longstride and three other soldiers (recognizable as the future Alan A’Dale, Will Scarlett, and Little John) disguise themselves as knights of the Royal guard. It is upon returning to Nottingham that Longstride quickly takes paths that will eventually lead to his inspiration of a nation to fight for their freedom. Also starring Danny Huston as King Richard The Lionheart, William Hurt as William Marshal, and Matthew Macfadyen as Sheriff of Nottingham. 

“Ondine” (PG-13)

Filmed in Ireland, Ondine follows the story of Syracuse (Colin Farrell), a struggling fisherman in a small town who is surprised to find an ethereal and mysterious fish-like woman named Ondine (Alicja Bachleda) caught in his trawler nets. With his endearing daughter, Annie (Alison Barry), telling him fairy tale stories of selkies (mythological creatures that shed their seal skin to live as humans), Syracuse’s predictable life is turned on end when he falls in love with the strange woman. Syracuse quickly finds himself wrapped up in the fairy tale possibilities and dark secrets that Ondine brings to his life. With gorgeous cinematography by Christopher Doyle, this film, written and directed by Neil Jordan, will have you suspending your disbelief to be immersed in the lush possibilities of love and fantasy.

TV:

“Modern Family: The Complete First Season” (Not Rated)

With a dynamic cast and sharply written dialogue, this Emmy-winning mockumentary series may just be the best show that you’re not watching. Created by Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan, “Modern Family” records the domestic adventures of a 21st century American family. The family’s patriarch figure is Jay Pritchett (Ed O’Neill) who is married to a young, beautiful Colombian woman, Gloria (Sofia Vergara), and a step-father to her comically mature pre-teen son, Manny. Jay’s children from his previous marriage include Claire Dunphy and Mitchell Pritchett. Claire (Julie Bowen) is married with three children and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) has adopted a Vietnamese child with his partner Cameron Tucker (Eric Stonestreet). This quirky comedy delivers some much-needed wit, while reminding everyone of their own comedic family dysfunction. The second season begins Wednesday, Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. on ABC.

“How I Met Your Mother: Season Five” (Not Rated)

With the sixth season newly underway, why not refresh your memory and relive the fifth season of this strange show? With the premise of future-Ted telling his two children the story of how he met their mother, viewers can only hope that they will actually meet the mythical woman who is to become Ted’s wife. In this season, Ted (Josh Radnor) becomes an architecture professor, dates the roommate of his future wife, and buys the house that will eventually be the home for his family. Robin (Cobie Smulders) and Barney’s (Neil Patrick Harris) short-lived relationship ends, leaving Robin to begin a relationship with her co-anchor and Barney to continue sleeping with as many women as possible, while the married Lily (Alyson Hannigan) and Marshall (Jason Segel) end the series on the decision to have a baby. Included in the series are the continuations of many running jokes, including the half-sighting of the final group doppelganger and Marshall’s use of the fourth slap on Barney on Thanksgiving. New episodes air Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS.