CSUSM welcomes its newest sorority: Alpha Omicron Pi

Picasa
Recruitment signs for on-campus sororities, including the new chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi, center.

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

Finding a solid support system in college is essential to success, and the women of Alpha Omicron Pi exemplify the qualities necessary to help young women on the path to greatness.

In the chapter’s inaugural year at CSUSM, Alpha Omicron Pi has constructed a framework built upon the values that will give each member a unique sense of character and confidence.

“As a new organization, our goal is to follow the values that over 150,000 members of AOII chapters across theUnited StatesandCanadafollow,” CSUSM president of the Alpha Omicron Pi, Jenneca Bacon, said. “Some of these values [include] inspiring women to grow personally and professionally, giving back to CSUSM and the community through our involvement on campus, and establishing bonds that last a lifetime.”

Alpha Omicron Pi’s members are no strangers to campus involvement. Many members are heavily rooted in organizations such as Tukwut Leaders Circle, Intervarsity, ASI, Resident Advisors, Peer Mentor Programs, and Honor Societies.

Besides participating in campus events, the sorority will be hosting its own national philanthropy event, Strike Out Arthritis, later this year. Their goal is to eliminate arthritis and the effects it has on people of all ages.

This dedication to campus organizations and their strong foundation of friendship and service allows for Alpha Omicron Pi to represent women of exemplary characteristics. “Our sorority prides itself on the diversity of the members and the friendships that we have created together,” said Bacon. “We stand for character, dignity, scholarship, service and college loyalty and we strive to exceed the expectation.”

Alpha Omicron Pi believes that participating in Greek Life helps to support their members’ education by giving them a strong group of friends, increased community involvement and academic events such as study nights and workshops. Recruitment week being at the beginning of each fall and spring semester. In order to rush any sorority or fraternity, students must have completed 12 units through CSUSM, transfer student units, or AP credit.

While they just completed their fall recruitment week, Alpha Omicron Pi is still interested in meeting new women to join their sorority. Contact their Vice President of Membership Recruitment, Myra Ochoa at [email protected] or President, Jenecca Bacon at [email protected] for more information on joining AOII.