Steps to the 15: Campus stairs keep students in shape

Picasa

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

One look upon the San Marcos campus and it is clear what stands out. Steps upon steps leading up to higher places, and there is no metaphor about it.

CSUSM, often referred to as CSU Stair Master, and its flights of stairs seem to be an acquired taste. Despite the void and often emotionless expressions on students’ faces as they climb the stairs, they appear to find ways to cope with the less-than-favorable form of exercise. Some find alternatives hidden within the many elevators scattered around campus, in the cool crevasses of hallways and inside the many main buildings. Others simply get used to it. Some see it as an opportunity to get moving. Freshman Perry Palleja even suggested using the activity to overcome the feared “Freshman 15.”

“The Freshman 15” essentially is the average weight change in incoming freshmen due to a transition to a more independent schedule. Depending on the eating and exercise habits gained, incoming freshmen may either gain or lose an average of 15 pounds during the first academic year. However, that doesn’t seem to be much of a concern on students’ minds, as senior Reggie Almojuela notes that climbing the towering campus can be a way to combat the Freshman 15’s ill effects, and even beat them.

Incoming freshmen are commenting on the flights of stairs in ways that aren’t very optimistic. Dread is a common expression on their faces upon seeing that they have yet to reach the top and that they won’t be able to make it to the top in the condition they started. “Ugh,” freshman Isis Lopez remarks upon even thinking about the stairs, the look of displeasure clear across her face at the mere mention of the gruelling movement.

Should the stairs not be the route you feel like taking, there’s the somewhat stationary way of combating the Freshman 15. According to CNN, one of the best ways to avoiding the Freshman 15’s ill effects is to stay active. That can be achieved by going regularly to a gym, and a good suggestion would be to workout at The Clarke Fitness Center whenever possible, whether it is between classes or in your spare time. It’s either that or the stairs!