POLICE BEAT: Make the right call for campus emergencies

Picasa
An emergency phone on the sixth floor of the parking garage connects callers directly to the University Police Department.

By Alison Seagle

Everyone is taught to dial 911 in the event of an emergency, but dialing 911 from a cell phone on campus will only reach the California Highway Patrol, not the University Police Department.

The time lost waiting for the CHP to transfer a call from their dispatch to the UPD dispatch could be costly. The number to reach the UPD dispatch is (760) 750 – 4567. Students, faculty and staff are all encouraged to save the number in their phones in the event of an emergency. If someone is using a cell phone that has T-Mobile or Verizon, their mobile provider they will automatically be connected to the UPD.

When dialing 911 from any campus phone, the call will directly go to the UPD. Also, there are 65 blue light emergency telephones conveniently located throughout campus that can be used to directly connect with the UPD.

The number to reach the UPD for emergencies is also the same number to request a campus escort. This is a service that is provided between dusk and dawn by Community Service Officers [students] until 11 p.m. and UPD officers thereafter to ensure everyone feels safe on the CSUSM campus.