Restaurant review: Churchill’s Pub and Grille great for the college budget

The interior of Churchills Pub and Grille.
The interior of Churchill’s Pub and Grille.

By Fredrick Misleh
Senior Staff Writer

If you are looking for a great place to hang out with friends that does not exceed your budget, then Churchill’s Pub and Grille is the place for you.

Named after former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, this pub offers an extensive beer selection (bottle, cask and tap), cocktails, and a full menu for lunch and dinner. If you’re not 21 yet, it’s not a problem because Churchill’s is open to all ages (until 10 p.m., when the kitchen closes and it becomes a full bar).

Menu items range from $4 to $22. For the price, you get a lot of food. Also, Churchill’s offers seven daily deals throughout the week. The most famous one is Wing Wednesday, where for 50 cents per wing you can get either Churchill’s signature BBQ sauce or buffalo wings.

If you are feeling more adventurous, you can pay 60 cents per wing and have Ivan’s Revenge (the hottest hot wings known to man). This is Churchill’s signature BBQ sauce mixed with Guinness (no age limit on these, and my personal favorite), or you can get a weekly special sauce that changes every Wednesday.

And these aren’t your average wings. These are massive, bone-in meaty wings rather than mostly breading. Eight is plenty for the average human being, 10 if you’re starving. Any more than that and you’ll be asking for a to-go box. But make sure you get there early. Wing Wednesday lasts from 4 to 10 p.m. and it fills up fast.

The burgers are also delicious. My personal favorite is the Sunrise Burger. It’s a half-pound patty with raw red onion, an egg cooked to your liking, and hollandaise to top it off. Yes, it sounds good, and yes, it tastes even better. For an appetizer, I always start off with a plate of Irish Nachos (think potato skins deconstructed with steak fries).

The beer selection changes as kegs run out. A few, like Guinness and Fuller’s London Pride, are staples and do not rotate. There is also a beer of the month, which sells for $4 a pint. Beer prices range from $4 to $8, and the alcohol percentage ranges from 4 percent to 15 percent. During Beer Renaissance in the spring, when all the local microbreweries sell their limited edition, special craft and reserve brews, the highest percentage of alcohol I have seen is 15 percent .
That said, please be responsible. If you plan on drinking, either limit yourself to one pint for the night or designate a driver (preferably the latter option). Churchill’s is all about having a good time, but no one has a good time if they’re going to jail, the hospital or the morgue. So please, drink responsibly.

Churchill’s is located at 887 West San Marcos Blvd. San Marcos, CA 92078. The staff is friendly and the pints are cold. Churchill’s is one local eatery you should not pass up.