Deciphering Props. 30 and 38: Tuition, tax initiatives continue to intertwine

California Gov. Jerry Brown in a television advertisement for Prop. 30.

Fredrick Misleh

Senior Staff Writer

This Election Day, voters inCaliforniawill face many choices. Among them is the choice between Propositions 30 and 38. Both are propositions that provide money for schools raised through taxation. But, there are a few differences warranting a note.

Prop 30 raises money for all schools by taxing those making $250,000-plus annually and increasing theCaliforniasales tax by a quarter of a cent for all. However, should other budgetary items need funding, the money raised ostensibly for schools could be used to fund said budgetary items. While it would raise $6 billion annually for the next seven years, because the money can be used for anything, there is no guarantee tuition will not increase later should Prop 30 pass.

Prop 38 raises money for only K-12, as well as early childhood programs, yet the tax applies to everyone for twelve years. All are taxed based on income. Revenues raised will be roughly $10 billion annually with projected long-term growth. Four years’ worth of the revenue will go toward paying theCaliforniastate debt.

In the end, voters are left with two similar propositions: 30 and 38. Prop 38 does not raise money for colleges, and tuition is likely to increase. At the same time, Prop 30 states any funds raised can be used for budgetary items other than schools, which means tuition may increase at some point in the future. All information regarding these propositions came from theCountyofSan Diego Registrarof Voters Sample Ballot & Voter Information Pamphlet.

None of the views expressed are those of The Cougar Chronicle or of its staff.