Commuter students face healthy diet challenges

Students on the go often have fewer healthy diet choices than students who live on campus.

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

It’s time to tackle the question of the differences between the diet of commuter students and those living on-campus.

Henry Hall is a sophomore who commutes from San Clemente. He occasionally gets fast food on his way to school when convenient, and buys food from various CSUSM food sites when on campus. His weekend diet consists of store-bought food considering he has more free time to go to the grocery store. Healthy food choices are difficult but still made regardless of the lack of free time. Hall only has time to prepare one meal for himself everyday, with many of his other meals consisting of what can be bought at his convenience. However, with more time available, making his own meals improves his diet, proving to be healthy and less financially consuming.

Depending on her schedule, Kia Washington, a freshman who lives on campus, eats fairly healthy. Her food choices are often based on financial ability and available time. It usually costs less for her to get certain foods outside of school time, allowing this choice to become a preference when she has more time to spare. She makes the occasional sacrifices here and there in order to have once-a-week indulgences, but overall, her diet is balanced.

Comparing these two people and their diets, it is easy to see how the available time affects their eating habits. The commuter must accommodate according to the setting they are in and work around a schedule in which they must also make time for travelling. Those who live on campus still have the issue of time, but must also tackle the separate issue of the overall stresses of living on campus, especially those who are living on their own for the first time.

Both diets have their positives and negatives, but ultimately it is up to the individual to make their own plans for dietary success.