Fall with grace, not disgrace: Autumn trends to keep or avoid

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

The autumn season has appeared and the seasonal trends are surfacing. However, whether old or new, they are not always fashionable.

With the allure of Thanksgiving breezing around the corner and Halloween just making its exit, it is tempting to break out the typical fall fashions. This includes the fall color palette: the earthen colors and soft, aesthetic hues that are reminiscent of the upcoming holidays.

The colors encompass the Thanksgiving palette—browns, deep reds and dark greens with a dash of orange and muted gold, and the Halloween palate—much like the Thanksgiving palette, but with bolder emphasis on the orange and the addition of deeper yellows and a sprig of white as a creative accent.

Creative advice while we’re on the subject of colors: if you like a look that carries that bold clash of colors, try for polar opposites that blend the muted with the bold. Don’t let the clothes scream at everyone with an over-emphasis on the bold colors, but don’t let yourself fade into the background with the muted. When in doubt, balance it out.

The two major things to focus on during the fall season are sensibility and functionality. With the changing weather, it is always difficult to correctly accommodate. People dress for cold weather and it ends up being hot, or vice-versa. The best thing to think of when having this inner debate is to carry some sort of themed bag or other bag-like accessory to hold spare clothes if you need to change. Don’t go for the obvious pumpkin or cornucopia theme that will leave people snickering in the background (unless it is for adorable appeal), but ones with little holiday designs are fine.

Don’t bundle up too much. If anything, layer appropriately with matching colors. I may not be a meteorologist, but it may not be necessary to dress for snow in Southern California. Bulky isn’t always best.

Don’t try to go for the exceedingly long scarf. As fun as it is to feel it blowing in the wind, imagine the hassle of it blowing in everyone’s faces as you walk by. If you must, wrap it around you for more warmth and less trouble.

Don’t think that black can be or goes with everything. It doesn’t always.

Remember, above all (literally) to wear a hat that fits firmly. With the usual November winds, I can’t imagine the sadness and effort of trying to retrieve the lovely loose-fitted hat that has decided to see the world off of a lovely head.

One final thought: remember to be confident in what you wear. If you decide that you aren’t going to conform to trends and styles, wear what you choose with pride and a smile. Show people that the outfit is worth it.