Social Justice Summit a life-changer for many attendees

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

The Social Justice Summit was a life-changing experience for all who attended.

The annual event, held this year from Oct. 19 – 21 through the Gender Equity Center, Student Life & Leadership and the Cross-Cultural Center, has since passed, but it is definitely worth attending next year.

The Social Justice Summit advocates its four major points through its statement of purpose: “Embrace Diversity. Create Change. Practice Leadership. Advocate Equity. Social Justice is not just a goal. It is a journey. Join the journey. Make a difference.”

“The purpose [of the summit] is to educate students in issues of social justice, empower students to act as and become advocates and allies to all and encourage students to build communities that focus on all they’ve learned,” director of the Gender Equity Center, Lea Burgess-Carland said.

Participator and student facilitator Ari Rivera detailed the event as “an empowering weekend.” As a facilitator, she felt joy in her role, stating that it gave her a chance to “see others experience justice and become allies to themselves and others both inside and out of the summit.” Such an event has further encouraged her to learn more than just what’s on the surface regarding people, and use her voice to empower others and give them the strength to build up others.

Amidst many bonding activities and informative exercises regarding the four major components of social justice—diversity, change, leadership and equity, participant Isis Lopez noted the experience as amazing and mind-blowing. Information got to her through word of mouth, and it wasn’t long after before she signed herself up to join. From the summit, she gained new connections and friends as well as a sense of camaraderie with those who participated.

Look out for this event next year in late October.