Chronicle staff celebrate Craft Beer Week and Stone Brewery

By Cougar Chronicle Staff Members

Craft Beer Week is a popular tradition for locals, so much so that this year started Nov. 2 and continues through Sunday Nov. 11. Beer week celebrates excellence in taste, aroma and texture as craft beer aficionados celebrate what can be referred to as the wine of beers.
During various interviews, City of San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders has cited that supporting our local breweries is a “civic duty” for those 21 or older who can drink responsibly. At CSUSM, we are fortunate enough to be located 10 minutes away—driving time, from a hidden gem, Stone Brewing World Bistro and Gardens.
You can find Stone Brewing Co. beers at local restaurants and out in chic Singapore bars. Widespread distribution doesn’t equal instant liking; Stone makes beers that require an acquired taste. Their reputation consists of scary gargoyles, bitter beer and an uncompromising mission to be different and unique.
Stone’s main location sits next to the hospital overlooking Escondido and the southern portion of San Marcos. The facility houses three major components: A restaurant, the company store and a vast majority of the building’s space goes towards housing the actual brewery itself.
As a staff, we had the opportunity to tour the brewing facilities, which is an opportunity available to the public Monday through Sunday in the afternoon and early evening hours. The ability to see flowering hops that share characteristics to cannabis and taste sweet malted barley—the main ingredients in their brews, reflects a quality in beer that is produced.
Until the visitor arrives, they are unaware of how extensively complex the process of brewing is, as well as how many people it takes to operate the system efficiently. In fact, it is estimated that for every employment opportunity generated on-site, six related jobs elsewhere are created. Quality control might just be the perfect lure for the 136 students majoring in Biochemistry on campus.
Stone is nothing short of a work of art, from the architectural design that is based on the namesake of the brewery and restaurant to the on-site brewery that radiates a simple “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” feel. Simply substitute the thick smell of chocolate and airy sugar scent for the pungent aroma of citrus hops. On the far side of the brewery is the eating area, a stunning modern-deco establishment with a gorgeous bar and seating to match.
Even though the prices at Stone tower over your typical “40s,” they back them with good food and a killer beer selection. Locals should make it a point to visit Stone at least once so they know where their fantastic, neigh legendary, brew comes from.
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) is a signature brew. This amber, golden-hued beer has a muddy, transparent body with well-blended ingredients and a crisp flavor. The first sips do have a lingering bitterness taste with a straightforward deliciousness that allows you to drink it effortlessly. It is completely solid with aroma that is very hoppy, quite earthy and chockfull of citrus.
Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale has everything from the hop and malt flavor characteristic to a rich amber-red color and the perfect foam head. The name itself gives you the idea that this was the heaviest beer of the day. It consists of complex flavors that complement each other, to create a strong firm flavor that perplexes and charms your taste buds.
Stone Smoked Porter is another favorite with earthy flavors subdued with an unmistakable smoky aftertaste. It is a dark beer, like Monday morning “I need to wake up now” black coffee; best served a little warm. You’ll taste nuts, malts, a bit of chocolate and a bit of coffee. At a lovely 5.9 percent alcohol-by-volume, you’d do your meal a favor if you paired this beer with a red meat entrée.
Stone Levitation Ale has its own way about it that shuns bold hops flavor. It is tenacious and inviting by finding that balance of color, aroma and taste. With a bitterness that compliments its smoothness, a light brown hue and hazy body; this brew reminisces to the time you tried beer, for the first time.
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Ale is a tribute to special occasions, with 10.7 percent alcohol-by-volume. This ale is aged in a bourbon bottle, giving it a pale color and a rich bourbon flavor without any burn.
One of the most unique aspects of the tour was being shown Stone’s stock of dry ingredients and proposed upcoming flavors. Without giving too much away, a giant bucket of cinnamon smells reminds us of Christmas. Could this be a prelude to the highly anticipated 12.12.12 brew?

For this year’s Beer Week, we recommend Five Years of Four Stone Beers at 11 a.m.  Friday Nov. 9.  Learn to appreciate nature’s yield and taste the variations between each year. Order lunch and drink responsibly!