Suspenders pull off thrilling win for flag football championship

The flag football program is the most popular intramural sport on campus at CSUSM.

By Karla Reyes

The beginning of November means the end of a great month of intramural flag football. On Friday Nov. 2, at the CSUSM Lower field,  intramural flag football came to an exciting end with the championship game.

The game pitted the defending champs “Sandusky Swag,” sporting their trademarked blue shirts, and “The Suspenders” who wore white for the championship title.

Both teams knew that they were not only playing for the title of CSUSM flag football champions but also the opportunity to compete against other college teams at Arizona State University for the regional finals on Nov. 10 and 11.

Campus Rec got everyone who attended fired up in anticipation for this game by providing free food and opportunity prize drawings. Crash the cougar made an appearance and performed the game’s opening coin toss. The radio station Z90 also made an appearance to announce and give the play-by-play of the game.

After keeping a nearly undefeated record going into the championship game, both teams had the chance to go head to head for the second and final time. Sandusky Swag started the game with a bang and  wasted no time getting points on the board with a touchdown. However, The Suspenders quickly answered back with a touchdown of their own. Swag responded with yet another touchdown, but their joy was short lived Right before the half ended, Suspenders scored and took advantage of the one-point conversion, making the halftime score tied at 13 – 13.

The Suspenders and Sandusky Swag played to the bitter end, firing up the crowd with every play. The Suspenders were given plenty of opportunities to score and capitalized in the games second half, taking the score to 20-13.

With seconds remaining in the game, Swag had the chance to hold Suspenders from scoring and give themselves the chance to tie the game. The Suspenders’ offense proved too much for Swag to handle when Suspenders scored in the waning seconds of the game and won this year CSUSM’s Flag Football championships with a final score of 26-13.

The Suspenders will be representing CSUSM at ASU for the regional championship.