Obama retains presidency in nail-biting election night contest

Obama family
The Obama family strides to the podium in Chicago after President Obama won the 2012 presidential election.

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

President Obama was re-elected for four more years on Nov. 6.

On. Tuesday, Americans throughout the country watched the 2012 presidential election, waiting in anticipation for the results of the next commander-in-chief.

Cal State San Marcos students took the election in stride on Wednesday. Senior Andrew Dettelbach said he feels Obama was the best candidate when it comes to education.

“I feel Obama will benefit our education system,” Dettelbach said. “In order to thrive as a country, we need to educate Americans, not take more than we already have. Financially, Obama is a better choice for myself and the majority of students who need financial aid to get a education.”

In the nail-biting hours after the polls closed on the East Coast Tuesday night, the electoral votes were already being tallied long before the polls closed on the West Coast.  It wasn’t until the television networks predicted that the battleground state of Ohio would go to Obama — giving him 273 electoral votes, enough to seal the victory — that it became clear the president had won.

By winning the electoral votes of Massachusetts, the state that Gov. Mitt Romney governed, and Wisconsin, the state in which vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan serves for as the United States Representative, the majority of Americans announced their favor in Obama’s message in lifting the middle class and healthcare reform.

President Obama’s announced in his victory speech that regardless of which party Americans are affiliated with, he intends to accomplish what needs to get done for the whole country.

“You, the American people, reminded us that while our road ahead has been hard, while our journey has been long, we have picked ourselves up, we have fought our way back and we know in our hearts that for the United States of America, the best is yet to come,” said President Obama stated in his victory speech. “I have never been more hopeful about our future … and I ask you to sustain that hope.”

President Obama’s reelection isn’t the only reason for rejoice throughout the Democratic Party. Tammy Baldwin also made history last night by being the first openly LGBTQ politician, and the first Wisconsin woman, to be elected to the U.S. Senate.  The Democratic Party also was victorious in holding on to its majority in the U.S. Senate. The Republican Party retained control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Results of the election also announced California’s approval of proposition 30, Gov. Jerry Brown’s initiative to raise money for California schools.

President Obama was re-elected with a total of 303 electoral votes and Republican candidate Romney at 206 electoral votes. 270 electoral votes are required to win the presidency.