Editors give thanks to campus faculty

Editorial Amira El-Khaouli This is the time of year where we are asked to give thanks. While it may be harder for some than for others, we asked students to recognize their favorite teachers in this issue. The response was overwhelming and the messages poured in from near and far. While we asked students to follow guidelines (such as word count limitations), we did not edit out any thank yous.

As a staff, we want to give thanks to Pam Kragen, our advisor. She is amazing, wonderful, interesting, smart and we are lucky to have her at CSUSM. Her dedication to the art of journalism is inspiring. From Melissa: Thank you for sticking with us and helping us make that transformation from students to journalists. We wouldn’t have come this far without you.

To all of my professors for getting me here, senior year. Dr. Holling, it is amazing to have met you finally. Dr. Beavers, Dr. Castaneda Rossman, Dr. Chavez Metoyer, Prof. Kragen, Dr. Masroori, Dr. Matthews, Dr. Morrissette, Dr. Nichols, Dr. Santos,– it has truly been an honor. Shout-outs to Prof, Al-Marashi, Prof. Chadwick, Dr. Greenwood, Dr. Moon, Prof. Samir – for being around campus. To SLL, especially Josh, Floyd, Dilcie, Shannon. To Gender Equity Center, et. al., especially Lea, Cathy. Thank you for being who you are and doing what you do. You know what!
-Amira El-Khaouli

Zach Marks, never would I have thought statistics would become applicable to me! Thanks for the enthusiasm and patience. In gratitude.
-Tara Flesner

I would like to thank my math 30 professor from last year, Bhavisha Talsania who has come to my aid this semester and who is always happy and uplifting whenever you are around her. Thank you Bhavisha!
-Jessie Gambrell

Few freshmen enjoyed their GEW class at 7:30 a.m. I’m one of those few. My professor, Lauren Mecucci-Springer was young but intimidating, funny but challenging. When I came to college, I was overconfident in my writing. I thought I was a great writer with no need for improvement, until I wrote my first essay for Mecucci-Springer’s class. In one semester, my writing went from surface-level and adequate to developed and thorough. Mecucci-Springer taught me that there is always room for improvement, one of the most valuable lessons I have learned in my four years of attending CSUSM. She is the reason I’ve worked as a tutor in the Writing Center for three years and am the News Editor for The Cougar Chronicle. Her support and encouragement inspires me to do my absolute best and remember, I can always improve. I would like to thank Lauren Mecucci-Springer for not only being my cheerleader, but being my mentor as well. I wouldn’t have worked so hard on my writing if it wasn’t for her. Thanks, Lauren!
-Melissa Martinez

Thank you Professor Kozlow for always making class entertaining. Some may think that behavioral statistics isn’t exciting, but “that’s ok”, because those of us in your 3 p.m. T/Th class have enjoyed many laughs, and I myself have been brought to tears from laughing too hard on more than one occasion. Thank you.
-Alison Seagle

Professor Jodie Lawston is the kind of person that makes going to class a joy rather than a chore. True to its fascinating name, her women’s studies course ‘WMST 205: Gender and Identity in Popular Culture and the Media’ captivates students, educating them on the messages encoded in our daily lives via advertisements, music videos, and other various media tools. Professor Lawston encourages her students to engage in class discussions where they are offered the opportunity to voice their opinions and share their thoughts on class material. Her quirky sense of humor, life experiences, friendly demeanor, and enthusiasm for student perspective only amplifies the degree of interest you cannot help but have when in her class. Professor Lawston, thank you for opening my eyes to how much our lives are affected by pop culture on a daily basis and for teaching your students to develop coherent, educated opinions.
-Katlin Sweeney

A multitude of thanks to Professor Cassel for her wonderful enthusiasm and thrilling endeavors in the realm of literature. You have renewed faith in my belief that literature has no generally accepted interpretation of anything, and I deeply enjoy the in-class discussions that always leave everyone feeling as though their own opinions and analyzations are equal in credibility to their peers. Thank you, once again, for allowing eyes to be opened and minds to be greatly expanded.
-Keandre Williams-Chambers