KPBS to open studio on CSUSM campus

By Karla Reyes

In early December, two reporters from KPBS radio/television station — Alison St. John and Kenny Goldberg — will move into a new office/recording studio on the CSUSM campus.

As a result, students now have an opportunity to be a part of a well-recognized media outlet through internships. The details of selecting interns or what the requirements will be are still pending but will be announced soon.

Previously, Goldberg worked at the North County Times headquarters in Escondido, but with the sale of the newspaper in October to the U-T San Diego, he was forced to relocate. St. John formerly worked in an office in Coastal North County and the two reporters decided to approach the university for space, since KPBS has its headquarters at another CSU campus, San Diego State University.

Both KPBS journalists will continue to work on their own stories independently from the campus. There is a possibility that students will be able to participate in certain aspects of KPBS. It is also a possibility that some of the campus’ news might make it into their stories, or that the school will be featured in some video segments.

“[KPBS office at Cal State San Marcos] will grow, but we see it as a tremendous step,” said Cathy Baur, associate vice president for communications at CSUSM.

This inclusion of such a well-known program like KPBS suggests that the campus is continuing to expand. With new buildings, more students, and now KPBS in our offices, CSUSM is showing growth.

KPBS is a non-profit organization, whose mission statement includes “serving the people of the San Diego region with trustworthy, in-depth information that allows the community to hold its leaders accountable. We show how global and local current affairs change our lives, and how San Diego changes the world. We tell you more than just what is happening—we tell you why.”

They accomplish this through television and radio. Their television license is held by the California State University Board of Trustees and the FM license is held by San Diego State University.