Restaurant Beat: Mama Kat’s brings home the bacon and so much more

By Alex Franco

Sports Editor

For those looking for a one-stop-shop for everything breakfast, lunch or even brunch-related, look no further than San Marcos’ very own Mama Kat’s Restaurant and Pie Shop. Mama Kat’s is a restaurant with a very welcoming, family-friendly environment.

The moment you walk through the doors, you are greeted with warm smiles and welcomes from the wait staff. The décor, complete with the antique pictures and wooden objects on the walls, makes the visitor feel as if they are walking into their grandmother’s home for Sunday breakfast. When planning to eat there, it is best to arrive early. Mama Kat’s can get very busy, and it may take a while for you to be seated.

Mama Kat’s offers coffee outside, so you can have a nice, hot cup of java as you wait for your party to be called and seated. But do not get discouraged with the long wait because the food is worth it. Once you are seated, you are greeted by some of the friendliest servers this side of the Mississippi. They offer to get the table drinks, ranging from freshly brewed coffee to ice cold milk and fruit juices.

Mama Kat’s offers a variety of breakfast foods and lunch specialties, such as American staples like eggs, bacon, sausage, hash, biscuits, waffles, French toast, pancakes, fried chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs,  and sandwiches—the list goes on and on. The food and desserts are very reasonably and affordably priced, ranging from $6 – $13 for full entrees.

Aside from the main dishes, Mama Kat’s bakes some of the most delectable pies in town, freshly made in-house for anyone to enjoy by the slice or to have a whole pie to take home to their family.

However, beware when dining at Mama Kat’s. The atmosphere, friendly staff and delicious food might make you feel so much at home, you may never want to leave. Mama Kat’s is located at 950 West San Marcos Blvd., and is open 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday – Saturday, and 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.