Students can explore famous boxer’s life at film screening

By Juliana Stumpp

Co-A&E Editor

Like most sport stories, there is always a beginning to that athlete that explains their hard work and determination, such as Kassim “The Dream” Ouma, a world-champion boxer with a rocky background. A film about Ouma’s life will be shown Nov. 27 in Arts 240.

Ouma was born in Uganda, surrounded by poverty. At the time, the National Resistance Army (NRA) was formed as opposition to the army. At age six, Ouma was kidnapped and forced to be a child solider, not being able to see his family until five  years later.

After he left the rebel group, he took up boxing and made his name known with an impressive  record of 62 wins as an amateur. Ouma was even invited to the 1996 Olympics held in the United State. However, he was not able to attend because of financial difficulties that  him and his family were faced with. Twelve years after the poverty and trouble caused by the NRA took its toll on him, he moved to the United States to make a better life for his family.

After his move, he won the International Boxing Federation Junior Middleweight world title. Since then, Ouma  has won many more titles, such as NABA middleweight title at the Grand Sierra Resort and defeating Sechew Powell at Madison Square Garden. Although he lost his world title in 2006, he still remains a truly talented boxer.

In 2008, director Keif Davidson filmed a documentary about the world famous boxer’s road to achieving the “American Dream,” as well as Ouma’s training for a world title against Jermain Taylor.

At 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday,  Nov. 27,  in Arts 240, the documentary film “Kassim the Dream” will be shown for the public with special guest, Keif Davidson, the director. Tickets for CSUSM students are free, faculty and staff are $5 while other community members will be charged $10. All tickets must be purchased online, printed and brought to the screening with an ID.