The Comic Book Corner: ‘Fables’ and ‘Fairest’ — another take on fairy tales

An image from Vertigo Comics Fairest comic book.
An image from Vertigo Comics’ “Fairest” comic book.

By Faith Orcino

Television shows such as NBC’s “Grimm” and ABC’s “Once Upon A Time” have changed the roles of classic folklore characters, and comic books have their own way of revamping the myths and fairy tales. On Nov. 21, the first trade paperback of the series, “Fairest” and issue 123 of “Fables” will be on comic book shop shelves.

“Fairest” is a recent spin-off of Vertigo Comics’ ongoing “Fables” books. While “Fables” deals with a cluster of many characters from the classic stories in a modern setting, “Fairest” focuses on the lead female characters in that realm.  The volume contains the first two arcs featuring heroine Sleeping Beauty. Once again, she wakes up after being kissed by her true love, but it is uncertain if this particular person truly is her true love or just an accident. Chronologically, the stories take place after issue 107 of “Fables.”  As for the latest addition to the original storyline, readers dive into a strange event concerning main characters Snow White and the Big Bad Wolf.

Bill Willingham writes for “Fables” and (with the help of other staff writers) writes “Fairest.” Adam Hughes creates the main single-issue covers for “Fairest” while various artists draw the interior pages.  See what other familiar characters appear in these series. Visit your local comic vendor and/or VertigoComics.com for more information.