MOVIE REVIEW: ‘Les Miserables’ film will whisk you away

A scene from the film adaptation of “Les Miserables.”

By Jessie Gambrell

Co-A&E Editor

“Les Miserables” premieres in movie theaters Tuesday, Dec. 25, and is an adaptation from the longest running Broadway play. The film is full of passion and raw emotion from start to finish.

“Les Miserables” first hit the stage in France in 1980. Originally a French fictional novel written by Victor Hugo and published in 1862, the American translation was not published until 1879, carrying over 1,200 pages.
This upcoming movie boasts an all-star cast; with Hugh Jackman as lead role and ex-convict  Jean Valjean who tries to do right in the world, Russell Crowe as the French guard Javert who hunts Valjean. Anne Hathaway as tragic factory worker Fantine, Amanda Seyfried as the haunting character of Fantine’s daughter, Cosette, Helena Bonham-Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen as the swindling, ragamuffin innkeepers, and Eddie Redmayne as the valiant fighter and love interest of Cosette, Marice.

The movie keeps very closely to the Broadway version of the story, being a classic Broadway musical, and is full of the wonderful songs and ballads such as “I Dreamed a Dream,” “On My Own,” “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables” and “Bring Him Home.”

This movie is already being considered for nomination of “Best Film of the Year” since it is going to be released late like director Tom Hooper’s last Academy Award-winning film, “The King’s Speech” two years ago. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are also being considered for nomination for the best actor and actress.

The film and actors warrant the high praise they are receiving due to the never-before-seen “live” singing on set. The actors had an earpiece in their ear for each song, the melody was only played on a piano to help guide them along, but everything else was up to them. The rest of the orchestra was added in later. This has never been done before in a motion picture film, which gave it a uniqueness and genuine quality.

“Les Miserables” will definitely be one of the movies that people, of all ages will want to see this Christmas break. Although be warned that with its highly intense and dramatic and sometimes violent scenes, it would probably not be a good idea to take anyone under teenage. Use your own discretion.

Five paws out of five