Christmas celebrations abound around CSUSM

singing+quartet
The Full Measure Carolers perform at the Santa’s Magical Village each year in San Marcos.

By Alison Seagle

Red lights were flashing on the fire truck as it rolled up to San Marcos City Hall on Saturday night, Dec.1. Kids and kids-at-heart alike were waiting with anticipation for Santa to climb the ladder to light the Christmas tree in front of City Hall. After Santa reached the top of the ladder, the crowd counted down and then the tree was lit, starting off the holiday season for the San Marcos community.

There was no shortage of Christmas decorations, crafts, activities or kids at the City of San Marcos’ “Santa’s Magical Village” this past Saturday. Inside City Hall, there were dozens of Christmas trees decorated and lit as part of the “Festival of Trees,” which was presented by the San Marcos Senior Services Foundation. The trees had been lighting up the hallways of City Hall since Nov. 19 – Dec. 2. The trees also provided many of Saturday night’s guests with ideal backdrops for family photos.

Outside City Hall, local youth entertained everyone with Christmas tunes. The ensembles that performed included the San Marcos Youth Orchestra, San Elijo Middle School Jazz Band, and the San Marcos High School Jazz Band. Their joyful, jazzy music filled the air, as did the delicious smells from the food trucks. From pizza to burgers to Mexican food and more, there was something for everyone to choose from to satisfy their appetites while enjoying the festivities of the evening. As for dessert, there was a booth for kids to make their own mini gingerbread houses!

Inside the Community Center, craft vendors filled the hallways and various rooms throughout. Shoppers could find many colorful displays of jewelry, hats, scarves, decorations, and other items to help them check off their Christmas lists. There was even a room filled with games and activities for the kids to play with and the opportunity to meet Santa, to whisper to him what they wanted for Christmas, and get their picture taken.

It was pretty easy to tell from all of the “Oohs,” “Ahhs,” and cheers that on this Saturday night, everyone who attended enjoyed themselves and both were and are happy that the Christmas season has finally arrived.