Third time’s a the charm for CSUSM women’s softball

By  Alex Franco

Sports Editor

For the better part of the last three seasons, CSUSM softball  has dominated the NAIA circuit, winning the A.I.I conference title and reaching the NAIA final four, in back-to-back seasons.

The Lady Cougars enter the 2013 ranked number one in the preseason polls for only the second time in the program’s history.

“I feel confident going into this season. My expectations are to be in that national championship game on May 29,” Head Coach Dave Williams said.

With the team containing returning players and having a good amount of playoff experience, Coach Williams’ team looks to improve on last season’s spectacular 55-6 season.

“There’s a belief that we need to work hard for next season, and I’m impressed with the hard work that everyone put in this fall,” Williams said.

A player to look out for this coming season according to coach Williams is returning All-American senior pitcher, Courtney Allen. Allen led the team in Earned Run Averages last season and leads a group of strong pitchers.

Coach Williams says the team will rely heavily on Allen after star player and All-American, Alyssa Dronenberg, graduated at the end of last season. “Team Leader and starting shortstop, Alex Miller will [also] play a big role this season, and help keep the punch in the lineup, we are gonna be very athletic and fast this year,” WIlliams said.

The must-watch games of the season are the Best of the West Tournament to open the season and the span midway through the season where the team will face several tough opponents in three straight home games, March 26-28. The Lady Cougars softball season begins in early February.

Watch for coach Williams and his team to make headlines early and often throughout the season.