Will Mayan prophecy end the world on 12/12/12?

The Mayan calendar predicts the world will come to an end on Dec. 12, 2012.

Keandre Williams-Chambers

We are almost there.

The last month of our lives has come upon us all, or so we have been told. According to the lore we have heard over the past year and beyond, the Mayan calendar ends this December 21, 2012, and with it, the world that we have known.

Now, I am not very briefed on this subject, but there is one thing I am certain of. There have been many different hypotheses on the end times of this mortal world.

There was the Y2K phenomenon that predicted the downfall of man due in part to our dependency on technology. Twelve years later, we’re still here. There was buzz about the Rapture occurring in both May and October of 2011, the day or days in which divine judgment would be brought upon mankind.

The only judgment seen was those that judged the prediction as inaccurate. My point is, each one had reasonably logical thinking and a good amount of backing. However, each one presented a good amount of speculation that was essentially based on the premise of “if this is true, then…”

So, let’s go about that premise. Let’s think of what might happen should the end of the Mayan calendar accurately predict the end of the world. What could really be done about it? The apocalypse is not something any group of men could prevent in any way, especially considering that it marks a divine force that is both outside and towering over the realm of man. Let’s presume it happens. It’s unstoppable and uncontainable. Not a single soul is spared.

Can we comprehend that being the end? Or will there be something after? The concept of time is something that man struggles with, and life encompasses that. Every person has at least had some sort of consideration as to the possibility of life being either unending or continuing after death.

This, of course, goes into the realm of religion, but I am far from an expert on that field. But let’s consider this. There are many possibilities, and the only way to truly know is to see the “other side” firsthand, supposing there may or may not be one. I wouldn’t know. I haven’t died yet, and I hope not to for a reasonable while (knock on wood).

But whether or not the end of the world decides to grace us, we still have to consider that there are days before it. Are that many people that concerned? I doubt it.

With the Christmas hype still going on strong, people seem to care more about that than the supposed coming end. It could be people’s wishful thinking, or maybe even doubt, but I see it as people truly not caring about the coming end of the world. The habit has set in to not really believe each and every theory of the end.

Heck, I even laughed at the premise of the apocalypse. If it happens, it will happen. I’ll have no quarrel with it because there is little I can do about the matter.