Opinion editor says farewell

By Amira El-Khaouli

Opinion Editor

This is the last week of school, not including finals week. For some, this is the last step in their undergraduate career. Provided I have no unexpected surprises in the next few weeks, I will be joining the ranks of the CSUSM alumni.

I used to say that I would graduate; god-willing and time-permitting. Finally, the moment has materialized. I have one more paper to turn in and two finals to take. It may seem like a light load but getting to this point has been both difficult and rewarding.

Classes are enough of a load. For those of you know, I am also a single mother. I started going to college in 2004. Eight years later, I get to complete my goal. Hopefully, my story is not a bore. I intend to relay a few facts of life that got me to where I am today.

I have been working since I was 16 years old. By 2006, I was making $18 an hour, more than double the current minimum wage. At that time, I took my savings and began a study abroad experience. In 2008, I could barely find work at $10 per hour for positions that either had the same or more responsibilities. Furthermore, schools were impacted and I had to re-apply for admission.

By 2010, I had a child and I went back to school. The job that I had at the time was so stressful that I was having health problems during my pregnancy. My health issues drastically diminished the moment I stopped working. At that moment, I made a pact with myself to strive for excellence and well-being. Education would be a large part of achieving that goal.

First and foremost, I want to thank every professor I have had the pleasure of meeting here. I want to thank you for every assignment, every lecture, and every grade I have received; because even the grades that are not up to par provide opportunity for improvement and learning.

I want to thank every organization on campus and the people that work here for every opportunity and accommodation that students are provided. I even want to thank Parking and Commuter Services for offering half-price parking passes half-way through the semester. Quite frankly, I cannot afford to pay full price.

As the cost of higher education continues to increase, I want to encourage students to take advantage of the programs that they may not know are available to them.

The church that is across the street, on Barham Drive, will give you free food. Free food, dude.

In the same respect, I want to thank every campus organization that offers free food and other items throughout the year. It is a great way for students to get a little something while they are learning about the opportunities available to us here.

We have an amazing array of campus-sponsored groups and there is something for everyone. Be sure to get involved at CSUSM because there is nothing like having a passion for education and a feeling like you belong somewhere. Never underestimate the importance of bringing your passion for life to your schoolwork.

In the same respect, don’t let your relaxation activities fall by the wayside. Go grab a drink with friends. Watch television. Surf the internet. Be athletic. Keep a journal. Doodle. The knowledge that you gain with these activities will supplement everything that you do in school and life.

Most importantly, stay in school and stick with it; while you are at it, try everything that you can manage to try, time-permitting.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, roughly 30 percent of people graduate college with a bachelor’s degree. Almost 8 percent have a masters and only 3 percent have a Ph.d.

And according to the news, the top 1 percent of the wealthiest people in America control the largest portion of money, stock, property and business.

Hmm. Challenge accepted!

I wish everyone here that kind of success.

See you on the other side, CSUSM.