Unit cap forces students to get creative in choosing electives

picture of teacher and students in classroom
A teacher lectures in a classroom at Cal State San Marcos. Photo courtesy of CSUSM

By Jessie Gambrell

With the spring semester class registration open since Nov. 15, classes have been filling up fast, leaving some students feeling the pressure of getting classes they both need and want to take.

With the implement of the unit cap for the spring 2013 semester, set to be lifted Dec. 17, many students are trying to take the classes they need, classes that fit into their schedules and take the maximum amount of units to graduate on time and as quickly as possible.

“There is a new Sociology of Immigration class that I was looking at and wanted to take, but it didn’t fit into my schedule. I really wanted to take it though because it looked interesting,” student Angie Curiel said.

“Right now, there are a few classes that are looking quite full, but most do not have many students waitlisted. In many cases, where sections are full, there are other sections of the same class with seats available,” assistant vice president of planning & academic resources Dr. Graham Oberem said.

With the impact of many of CSUSM’s majors, finding open classes for students to get the classes they need for their degree requirement can be difficult.

“Some of this might be related to sometimes being more convenient than other times. That said, I can tell you that lower-division science GE classes are very full as usual, with quite a few people waitlisted,” Oberem said.

As of Friday Nov. 30, all GES 100, 101 and 102 classes are full, with most classes having ten or more students sitting on the waitlist.

“I find that the ones that are most desirable are the ones that are required, like GES (General Education Science) 102. I just got in that class after three years of trying,” student, Ally Gunzelman said.