It Might Not Be Too Late: Scholarship Opportunities for Spring Semester

By Rebekah Green

With spring semester already on the horizon, new students will have the opportunity to compete for a variety of scholarships. Students transferring into CSUSM for the spring will be able to apply for financial aid after registering for classes. Students applying should also check to make sure that CSUSM is listed as one of their school choices on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For details on these scholarships and others not listed here, visit http://www.csusm.edu/finaid/scholarship_all/spring_scholarship_opportunities.html.

–       Anne Kay Scholarship: Students transferring directly from a community college to CSUSM for the first time will have the opportunity to receive a $1500 scholarship. Five scholarships are being awarded. Requirements consist of financial need (verified by the FAFSA) and at the least, a cumulative GPA of 3.0.

–       John Durkee Scholarship for Disabled Students: A $1000 scholarship will be awarded. Students must have a 3.0 GPA, be enrolled in at least three units, and complete the Durkee Scholarship Disability Certification Form.

–       Fenstermaker Foundation Scholarship: Students majoring in Biology, Chemistry, or Computer Science can take advantage of this scholarship awarding up to $7000 annually. Requirements include a 3.5 GPA or higher. At least three scholarships will be awarded and students may be able to renew them.

–       Community Service Scholarship:  For this scholarship, five awards are given to students who are in need of financial aid and five are awarded to non-financial aid students. Requirements: full-time enrollment, a 3.0 GPA, and 170 volunteered hours during the year of the award. Students must also register for course HD 499, “Service in the Community.” Following completion of the Community Service requirement, students will receive their awards.

–       Lillian S. Sherman Scholarship: An award of $1750 is given to a Native American Indian Student who demonstrates involvement in his/her tribe or the American Indian community. A scholarship essay is required. Students should be enrolled as a part-time student with a minimum of nine units for graduate students.

–       Bree Tinney Re-entry Scholarship: A $150 scholarship is awarded to a female undergraduate student and single parent continuing studies following a prolonged break. Those who apply must have a 3.0 transfer GPA and financial aid approved by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.